Field Operations Manager – Construction
The Field Operations Manager’s role is to oversee all company projects and Site Supervisors to ensure the timely and efficient completion of high-quality construction projects.
To oversee company safety program and ensure full compliance by each site and subcontractors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Oversee Site Supervisors’ direct responsibilities to:
• Accomplish construction objectives and related HR requirements and standards.
• Manage sub-contractors, suppliers, and trades.
• Meet operational standards; implement production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolve problems; and identify construction management system improvements.
• Manage construction budget; identify variances; implement corrective actions; and provide non-project annual operating and capital budget information.
• Approve construction projects by conducting inspections at critical phases.
• Prevent fines and interruptions by complying with, and enforcing, codes.
• Maintain safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures, complying with legal regulations and company safety program.
• Update job knowledge by tracking and understanding emerging construction practices and standards; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Enhance organization reputation by accepting accountability for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
In addition, the Field Operations Manager oversees:
• Construction management planning, in concert with Project Managers
• ensuring accurate construction drawings, construction quality, associated building permits, completion, post-mortem discussions and follow-up, warranty issues and obligations
• Site Supervisors’ documentation, schedules, purchase orders and subcontractors
• Compliance with local building codes, zoning, and safety regulations; company safety standards; that WCB and OH&S legislation is followed; and that construction projects are in compliance with all applicable company, national, provincial, and local regulations.
• Compliance with company policies and procedures
• Site Supervisor leadership of site staff, contractors, trades, suppliers, etc.
• Site Supervisors in their role as mentor and role model, providing strong leadership and motivation; and living the Abstract Mission, Vision, and Core Values
• Plan check/review to ensure the following, but not limited to; windows and functionality, doors, door swings, reduce pocket doors, door trim, window trim, electrical switching, electrical devices, millwork conflicts, reduce drop ceilings and bulk heads.
• Ensure sales feature sheets match IFC documents.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ATTRIBUTES
• Minimum fifteen to twenty (15-20) years’ experience formally supervising construction sites, and successfully delivering construction projects (i.e., custom homes, commercial developments, multi-family projects, etc.) ideally in a superintendent role.
• Preference will be given to those with extensive wood frame multi-family experience.
• Minimum high school diploma; post-secondary education in a related field preferred
• Must have recent, related experience and proficiency in all divisions of work, methods, materials, scheduling, and cost control.
• Professional Development – a track record of remaining current on industry developments, new products, etc.
• Knowledge of construction management tools and techniques, such as scope definition, changes, project scheduling, critical path, estimating, budgeting, reporting, and cost control
• Formal certification such as Gold Seal Certified (CSC) is an asset.
• Must have a valid driver license.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
• Must be confident in layout ability; able to schedule and coordinate job site activity (including sub-trades); and must be able to lead safety standards of the company.
• Demonstrate proficiency and understanding of the management of site logistics and contract operations on tight urban sites.
• Highly organized with effective managerial, communication and problem-solving skills.
• Strong technical and communication skills are critical.
• Must meet regulations and requirements of and stay current with the regulations of Workplace Health and Safety
• Capable of working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Computer literate for field/office communication – Outlook, Word, Excel, MS Project, Procore & Jonas, or Blue Beam considered an asset.
Attributes & Behavioral Competencies:
• Self-starter with excellent time management skills.
• Demonstrated problem-solver with ability to observe, request, and otherwise analyze information from multiple sources to find creative solutions to unique problems in order to stay on budget and schedule.
• Effective communicator with both internal and external stakeholders including staff, customers, the public, government officials, and/or compliance officers.
• Ability to motivate members of a group to work together to accomplish tasks. Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.
• Ability to determine time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity safely and within the design intent.
• Develop, design, or create new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including creative, innovative, and artistic contributions.
• Performing day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork
• Ability to build trust with trades, suppliers, customers, and clients to promote the Abstract brand at and outside of working hours.
The Field Operations Manager works a flexible schedule of full-time work and is required to be available on short notice in the best interest of the subordinate Site Supervisors and/or construction clients outside of normal business hours on occasion. Most travel will be within the greater Victoria area. On occasion, there may be a requirement to travel outside this area. Evening and weekend work may be required on occasion, depending on the needs of the project.
“Working with a group of like-minded professionals driven by a shared goal of creating truly iconic spaces is both motivating and rewarding.”