Abstract Developments is seeking an experienced Site Superintendent to join our growing team.
The Site Superintendent’s role is to oversee assigned project(s) and ensure the timely and efficient completion of high-quality construction projects within the development and design intent. The Superintendent is also responsible to follow Abstract’s safety program and ensure full compliance of Abstract staff and subcontractors.
- Manage own forces, sub-contractors, suppliers and trades within the design intent.
- Work with Development managers, Project managers and Sales Team to ensure the project is built correctly and to Abstract standards.
- Manage construction budget, identify variances, and where possible implement corrective actions.
- Produce a weekly project update to Sr Superintendents and Project Managers.
- Review construction site and conduct daily inspections, minimum weekly safety inspections, weekly trade meetings and bi-weekly consultant and owner meetings.
- Maintain a daily diary noting work done each day on site including applicable trade work, weather and temperature must be recorded.
- Prevent fines and interruptions by complying with, and enforcing, codes and bylaws.
- Maintain safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations of WorkSafe and company safety program
- Implement and drive the master construction schedule, update the schedule monthly with the Project Manager.
- Construction sequencing planning, in concert with Project Managers, issue RFIs in a timely manner to ensure consultants have specified timeliness for a response.
- Write POs and reconcile invoices with the accounting department.
- Track Abstract site staff time and enter into accounting with correct labor costs.
- Be aware of and ensure compliance with WorkSafe BC and Abstract Safety manual.
- Be aware of and ensure site is compliant with company policies and procedures
- Provide leadership to site staff, contractors, trades, suppliers, etc.
- Promote the Abstract Core Values, attend Abstract sponsored events with some regularity.
- Coordinate the design drawings and specifications between design disciplines, development intent and Sales customizations to provide the purchasing client with the best possible construction product and experience.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes:
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience formally supervising construction sites, and successfully delivering construction projects (i.e. custom homes, commercial developments, multi-family projects, etc.) ideally in a foreman, assistant superintendent or superintendent role
- Preference will be given to those with multi-family or developer experience.
- Must have recent, related experience and proficiency in all divisions of work, methods, materials, scheduling, and cost control
- Professional Development – a track record of remaining current on industry developments, new products, etc.
- Knowledge of construction management tools and techniques, such as scope definition, RFIs, Sis, changes, project scheduling, critical path, estimating, budgeting, reporting, and cost control
- Formal certification such as RSE, GSC, AScT, P. Eng is an asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Superintendent will provide a reliable vehicle, Abstract will reimburse Kms driven for Abstract business at CRA recognized rate.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, specifications and contracts.
- Ability to self-motivate and motivate those around you.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the management of site logistics and critical path.
- Highly organized with effective managerial, communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong technical and communication skills in the English language.
- Able to estimate materials necessary to efficiently stock the project.
- Ability to use power and hand tools, leveling and measuring devices.
- Ability to climb stairs and navigate uneven ground.
- Computer literate – Outlook, Word, Excel, MS Project. Blue beam and Jonas an asset.
- Independent, proactive and analytical thinker.
- Be comfortable in office as well as site settings.
- Able to assist Design professionals with solutions to construction problems.
- Able to manage conflicts related to site staff, design and outside agencies.
- Confident and able to make cost efficient decisions.
- Be a positive person and promote the Abstract brand and core values.
- Able to build relationships within Abstract and with trade and consulting partners.
- Able to provide input and ideas on how to improve working efficiencies and working conditions.
- Must love being a superintendent, strive for growth and thrive on pressure.
The Site Superintendent works full time, usually between the hours of 7am and 4 pm, Mon-Fri on the construction site and is required to be available outside regular working hours in case of a site emergency. Weekends or evenings may occasionally be required to facilitate critical path.
Limitations & Disclaimer:
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual in the position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all knowledge, skills, abilities, responsibilities, duties, physical job demands, and working conditions associated with the position.
If this opportunity sounds like a good fit for you, please submit a covering letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com.
Opportunity open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
“Our experience has far exceeded our every expectation.”